Friday, March 28, 2008

What I'm Making for Dinner - 3.28.08

Fast Chinese

I have some leftover ground pork from last week's Ma Po Tofu that I froze. Sometimes when I have little bits of filling or ingredients, I pack and freeze them. So long as you use them within a few weeks, they're still fine. There's also some chopped turkey, cubed ham and a roasted beet in my 'ingredients' area of the freezer, awaiting next week's transformation into turkey croquettes, ham hash and borscht. Mmm...borscht...

For tonight, though, I'm making something fast and simple to tide us over until we get to a party later in the evening. Lots of greens and tofu will help us make sure we get our daily allowances of, uh, healthy things. And absorb all the vino we'll be drinking.

*Cook's hint: rinse Chinese vegetables and douse with rice wine to get rid of that "canned" taste.

Tofu and Asparagus Stir-Fry

2 tbsp. oil
2 tsp. garlic
1 block firm tofu, cubed
(I'm adding my ground pork here, but it's not required)
1 bunch of asparagus, cut in 2-inch pieces
1 can of bamboo shoots, drained
2 tablespoons Chinese spicy bean paste
Splash Chinese rice wine
Splash Soy sauce
Splash Rice vinegar

Sautee garlic in oil until golden brown. (Add ground pork here- cook until browned.) Add the tofu and stir, then add the asparagus. Add bamboo shoots, rice wine, soy sauce, rice vinegar and spicy bean paste. Stir all ingredients together until flavors are incorporated and vegetables are cooked, maybe 10 minutes. Serve with rice, if you like. I know I do.

No comments: