Wednesday, March 26, 2008

What I'm Making for Dinner - 3.26.08

Fake Paella

Ok, I'll admit it: I totally made up this dish based on what's in my fridge. Yes, I know it's not real paella- but that's what it resembles most. I could have called it Ad Hoc Arroz Con Pollo, but I didn't feel like it. I imagine many of you invent things to use up the stuff in your fridge. The ingredients that gave birth to this one were leeks, shrimp and chicken thighs.

Leeks are a relatively new discovery for me. They have a mild oniony
flavor and a very nice sweetness. Leeks also make good friends.


Ad Hoc Paella with Leeks

2 cups rice, cooked in broth
1/4 cup oil
2 tsp garlic
2 leeks, cleaned and sliced into thin rings
2-3 chicken thighs, cubed
10-15 shrimp, cleaned
1/2 cup white wine
1/2 cup fish bouillon
1 can diced tomatoes, drained
Splash of lemon juice
Dash of cayenne pepper (if desired)
Salt and pepper to taste

Set the rice cooking and chop up your meats and veggies. In a large skillet, sautee the garlic until browned, then add the leeks and cook until soft and beginning to brown. Add the chicken, wine and bouillon and stir until chicken it begins to turn white. Then add your shrimp and the fish stock. Just before the shrimp and chicken are done, add the rice and stir together until all flavors are incorporated. Season to taste with lemon juice, salt and pepper, and any other seasonings you prefer.


No comments: