Thursday, May 22, 2008

Ecclectic and Organic

Eggs with Pickled Tomatoes and Beet Greens

First of all- check it! I have photos of my own food today! This is partly because this is one dish I was neeeever going to find an image of elsewhere. Also, I ususally neglect to take pictures of anything I cook before I bolt it down like something on "Animal Planet".

I have just turned in my last paper this semester, and discovered another farmers' market. Thus I have had a most satisfying day and a most interesting dinner. Among the things I picked up at the market were some beets and some pickled tomatoes. The guys who sold the pickles said "try them with scrambled eggs". And so I did.

Beets are a favorite of mine, but today instead of making more borscht, I decided to concentrate on the upper half of the plant. Beet greens are difficult to come by fresh, and these looked great. They're fairly mild and quite attractive as vegetables go, and you can prepare them much as you would kale or collards. If you're not in the habit of preparing kale or collards, the recipe below should help.

I realize how foreign the idea of a pickled green tomato may seem at first, but if you're fond of pickled anything, you'll probably like them. And if you like eggs with salsa, you'll probably like this recipe. Pickled tomatoes are also popular in Eastern Europe. If they're a bit too tart, slice them and rinse them off before scrambling them in.

Beet Greens
1 strip bacon
1/2 onion
1 tbsp olive oil
1 bunch beet greens
1/2 cup water
1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
2 tbsp brown sugar
Salt
Black pepper
Red pepper, if you like

Cook the bacon in the olive oil until crisp, then remove. Sautee the onion until it begins to brown, then toss in the beet greens and the water. Add the brown sugar, vinegar and other seasonings and stir. Cover and let cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until greens are tender.


Eggs with Pickled Tomatoes
1 tbsp olive oil
2-3 eggs (or however many you want)
2 tbsp milk
2 pickled tomatoes, sliced into thin rounds
1 tbsp fresh cilantro
salt
pepper
paprika

Mix the eggs together well with the seasonings and milk. In a pan on medium heat, scramble in the in the cilantro and the tomatoes as the eggs cook. Serve with your beets.

No comments: